Written by my friend Kelley Watkins
Hello fellow Mastiff lovers… A few posts I’ve read
recently inspired me to share our story about our two boys, Mack and Murph,
whom we lost this past November. My husband Scott and I have talked to so many
Mastiff breeders these last three months, and we have been following several
Mastiff groups on FB.

So please excuse my very lengthy story below, but I was
reading a post on Facebook by another member this past week about finding a
reputable breeder and about health testing, and I was so motivated to try to
make a DIFFERENCE. I can tell you from firsthand
experience – if you do not find a reputable breeder, if you do not do your
research, and you do not insist on the health testing that is recommended for
this breed (you can refer to http://www.htpuppiescb.com), you are doing
yourself and this glorious breed a huge disservice. There are countless
back yard breeders and puppy mills out there – please do not support them (and
yes, many of them do have fancy websites and even some show titles, and
naturally they are going to be very kind so they can sell you a puppy). You MAY
have to pay a bit more from a reputable breeder, but the truth is, mastiffs are
expensive, and if someone is offering you one for cheap, it is a RED FLAG.
Also, be concerned more with how much it costs to OWN a mastiff, not how much
to buy one. Please make sure, financially, not only can you maintain the
regular costs, but the possible and unexpected costs as well. Please do not
allow yourself to end up in a position where you must surrender your mastiff
because of these ‘unexpected’ issues. I am not trying to scare you away; if
anything I have tried to convince everyone I know that the mastiff is the most
glorious breed you will ever have the honor of knowing. But if you are not
prepared to manage the expenses and commitments that are associated with owning
a giant breed, simply wait until you can.
Scott and I were so naïve 11 years ago when we bought
our first mastiff, and second mastiff, from a back yard breeder guy/wife near
Pittsburgh. We are sharing our experience for many reasons; one being that
hopefully others won’t make the same mistakes we made and also so potential
owners have realistic expectations of just how difficult it can be if you don’t
do your due diligence. I will say right now that I definitely do not believe
our experience is typical or even close to average. But it DID happen to us,
and the expenses and heartache can be very difficult; we never spent a moment
complaining (maybe crying) and certainly never a moment spent on regret. And
while nothing is guaranteed (no matter who the breeder or the length of the
health testing), I urge you to commit to doing it right from the beginning,
supporting the right folks, and starting out with the best possible chances if
you are going to purchase a mastiff puppy.
We are hoping that by sharing our story,
we will help raise awareness, which will decrease support of BYBs and PMs,
which will decrease the number of unhealthy mastiffs being bred, which will
FINALLY, in turn, greatly reduce illness and suffering in our breed – AND
turnovers to shelters. Also, we have obviously been through a lot of health
issues with our mastiffs; and while we are not experts of any kind, we do have
quite a bit of knowledge and experience in certain areas. It would be our
pleasure to help anyone we can, especially because we see it as a way to HONOR
OUR TWO BEAUTIFUL BOYS and everything they were through.
So, our story: We decided we wanted a mastiff in 2003
and almost immediately found a breeder online - awesome website, super nice
guy/family, lots of pictures of beautiful dogs, cute puppies and stories from
happy owners. We bought a fawn male from him in May, Mack, and we were
instantly in LOVE. So much that we decided on a second apricot mastiff, Murph,
who we brought home the following February. They were instant best friends.
According to the breeder they had the same father - but we were never able to
obtain the promised and paid-for AKC papers for Mack. We later learned he came
from North or South Carolina, not Pittsburgh where this breeder was from.

At 1.5 years old we noticed Mack was straining to pee;
we took him to an emergency clinic where they found his urethra was completely
blocked with cysteine stones and he was diagnosed with Cystinuria within a few
days. The clinic did emergency surgery to remove the stones and kept him a few
days with a catheter. They removed the catheter and we brought him home, only
for his urethra to block again from swelling. He spent a few more days at our
regular vets office with the catheter, hoping the damage from the stones would
heal, but it didn't. Next we went to Veterinary Referral Center (VRC) near
Philadelphia for a CT scan and they confirmed that he wasn’t healing… So we
took him to Cornell on another emergency basis. They did yet another MAJOR
reconstructive emergency surgery and said it could go either way. He was
hospitalized for over a week in ICU but he pulled through. They had to give him
a stoma - which is when they re-route a male’s urethra to go straight down so
they pee like a female dog. He had a very tough recovery, severe bruising at
the surgical site, and they told us they were sure it was because he also had
Von Willebrands disease.
In the meantime, after some extensive allergy testing,
we were treating our apricot dog, Murph, with monthly allergy shots. Then at 3
years old he blew out his cruciate ligament... Back to Cornell for TPLO surgery
and several days in the hospital, plus months of follow up and rehab. During
this time, the specialists at Cornell told us he also had hip dysplasia. Murph
recovered from the surgery beautifully and never had another problem with either
cruciate ligament, thankfully, although he did live with and we were able to
manage his arthritis with medications and supplements for several years.
Next, at 5 years old, Mack was diagnosed with diabetes.
First we had to regulate his insulin dosage (Vetsulin, insulin for dogs), which
meant 2-3 days a week twice-a-day glucose checks at our vet’s office @ $70/day,
times several months to start, down to weekly visits, monthly visits – but he
never did regulate on the Vetsulin and we were in for glucose checks
constantly. Mack was on Vetsulin for his diabetes for YEARS – his dosage was SO
HIGH because of his size that I would buy 10 vials at a time just to be sure we
never ran out, and I think the vials were around $50 each – one vial lasted not
even a week. Eventually Vetsulin was taken off the market because animals
couldn’t regulate on it, and we switched to a human-grade insulin and had
excellent results. Anyway, the worst part of all of it was that the diet for
diabetes and Cystinuria are in DIRECT contrast to one another, therefore we
struggled for the rest of his life trying to keep the diabetes under control
and with constant urinary tract infections. So for 9 years we had been paying
for veterinarian prescribe prescription diet for Mack – along with an costly
food because of Murph’s grain allergies. (Interesting to mention here that we
have since learned that neutering males with Cystinuria basically stops stone
formation. We did consult with 2 dieticians over the years, but they
apparently, unfortunately, were unaware of this).
At age 8 Mack lost his vision due to the diabetes. At
first we were crushed, but soon learned that veterinary ophthalmologists can
replace a dog’s cataracts the same as is done with humans. We met the wonderful
ophthalmologist at Veterinary Referral Center (VRC) and Mack had his sight back
a few weeks later. It felt like a blessing!
Immediately after the surgery, however, noticed Mack was
having trouble with his hind legs, dragging his feet, obviously loss of
strength. The concern was an issue with his hips or back so the specialist sent
him for an MRI. When he came out of the MRI he could barely walk - he had
almost zero use of his hind legs. We met with an orthopedic surgeon at VRC and
he believed Mack's problem was neuropathy from the diabetes, somehow
complicated and exasperated from being under deep anesthesia – first with the
eye surgery and then with the MRI. We carried Mack with 2 slings for almost a
week, and then sure enough, he started to regain strength, and within 2-3 weeks
he was back to okay.
At 8 and 9 years old Murph and Mack both went in for
removal of 'lumps'. Mack had one on his thigh, which turned out to be benign.
The tumor on Murph's chest, however, was a malignant soft tissue sarcoma. After
18 rounds of radiation and 3 weeks stay at Cornell (home on weekends), we did
achieve a cure for Murph. Yeah!
At almost 10 years old Mack developed another lump in
the exact same spot on his thigh; unfortunately, this time the tumor was
malignant - another soft tissue sarcoma, level 3. The entire story surrounding
the surgery our local vet did is another story in and of itself, but in short,
he left a diabetic dog with an open wound and sent him home without use of his
hind legs (we told him not to do the surgery if he had to use deep sedation,
that we would just go to Cornell, but he did it anyway). We were furious. We
once again carried Mack with the slings and nursed him back to health for a
week, but he took an ABRUPT turn for the worse in about 12 hours time and we
had no idea why, except that his wound suddenly smelled and he could hardly
walk or breath. My husband drove Mack to Cornell at 2am where he stayed in ICU
for 8 days. They had to completely reopen the wound, perform yet another
surgery, and place a vacuumed catheter to remove the infection. The doctors
didn't think he would make it do to the severity of his infection (as it turned
out, Mack already had a urinary tract infection and our vet should have check
first given Mack's history with recurring UTIs; that surgery never should have
been done in the first place). Again, after lengthy anesthesia, he lost use of
his back legs, and it was another 2-3 weeks of slings to get the big guy
around. But he pulled through once again, and once again proved to us that he
had a stronger will to live than any soul we've ever known. I always teased he
was secretly a cat, with 9 lives.
After Mack's diagnosis of a grade-3 soft tissue sarcoma
in March of 2013 we were at a loss for what to do. Due to the aggressiveness of
his tumor the doctors gave us 3 months. We were devastated beyond words. We
always did anything and everything we could for our boys, but anything we did
at this point for him was simply palliative. We did have the option of
amputating his leg, but the doctors advised strongly against it because of his
diabetes, neuropathy, and issues with deep sedation. Our only other option was
palliative radiation, which would give us an additional 0-3 months, and we
didn’t want him gone, in a hospital, for 3 weeks if we only had 3 months left
with him. The tumor continued to grow but Mack was doing great. After a few
months we heard of a drug called Palladia, it's not chemotherapy but a very new
and exciting anti-cancer drug. Palladia is typically used to treat mast cell
tumors. It is VERY expensive; from a specialty clinic clients will pay up to
$40/50mg pill. Mack, because of his size (yet only 155 pounds at the time) was
on 9 of these pills a week. And that was only one of the SEVERAL medications he
was on. (I mention the costs because there are less expensive ways to acquire
this medication, so if you or anyone you know needs or uses it, PLEASE just ask
and Scott or I will share our experience…) Anyway, we started Mack on the
Palladia and noticed the tumor stopped growing and his very enlarged lymph node
in his belly did as well. Once again we felt very blessed.
But the Thursday before Thanksgiving, Murph had a
seizure. We took him to a local emergency clinic - he was acting very strange
and we noticed his belly was sensitive. The doctor there told us he was just
acting post-ichtal, or post-seizure, and sent him home, but the following morning
we were just not feeling good about Murph's condition. We brought him to a
different emergency clinic where the discovered gastric torsion; he had surgery
immediately. He was in the hospital for 5 days, and developed pneumonia, but
was recovering well so we were able to bring him home the night before
Thanksgiving. Two days after Thanksgiving however, he took a rapid turn for the
worse, so we went back to the clinic, where they discovered he was throwing
blood clots into his lungs and intestines. We had no choice, he was suffering
and there was nothing they could do. We held our beloved big red dog as we
cried and said goodbye.
When we got home we could tell Mack knew... he wouldn't
leave Murph's bed and was obviously heartbroken. Two nights later Mack had a
seizure - we were not too worried as he'd had two seizures previously and
recovered immediately. (At his age and health condition - and once again
complications due to anesthesia – our doctors didn't want to sedate him for an
MRI of his brain. Because the seizures were 'innocent', they told us to just
keep an eye on him). The following morning he had two more seizures, 45 minutes
apart, and they left him with no use of his back legs. We went back to the
emergency clinic and the neurologist believed the cancer had metastasized to
his brain, and that the final seizure/s had caused and embolism to travel down
his spine, and that was why he couldn't use his hind legs. We were beyond
devastated, how could we be here again, 2 1/2 days later? He had fought his
fight and outlived everyone’s expectations - 9 months. It was time to say
goodbye to our first baby, and it was the hardest thing we've ever done. I
would do anything to have our two boys back - I would do it ALL over again if I
could just have them. That would be heaven.
Over the past 8 years I have made countless trips to
Cornell, a 2.5 hour drive, and to VRC near Philadelphia, 2 hours - on average
once a month. So much so that I can truthfully say I have made some true
friends in some of the doctors, nurses and technicians. During this entire time
we also welcomed into our family 4 beautiful children, which definitely made a
lot of the traveling and lengthy appointment times stressful and difficult -
but we found doctors that were wonderful and compassionate. The truth was, Mack
and Murph were our first babies and we were committed to doing anything and
everything we could to keep them stay happy and healthy. We did what we had to,
to make it work.
So… we encourage you to find a breeder who is honest,
kind and knowledgeable, someone who has vast experience and understands the
breed, someone who is willing to communicate and stay in touch after you
purchase a puppy, and of course someone who is responsible and committed to
taking advantage of the health testing available. I’m here to tell you the
great news is they are out there! Just do your research and ask a lot of
questions.
THANK YOU for taking the time to read our Mastiff Love
Story, all the best to our mastiff friends! Kelley and Scott