Friday, March 15, 2013

Birthday Cake for Your Dog!!!!!

What?  You don’t celebrate your dog’s birthday?  How cruel of a dog owner are you?

Just kidding, in all honesty my dogs are pretty spoiled, so treating them extra special on their birthday takes a lot of “extras” so it’s not just like any other day to them.  I do however save the cake for this one times a year occasion. I think every doggie birthday we’ve celebrated I’ve used a different recipe, but I recently came across this recipe from a member post on Mastiff-Forum.  It’s nearly identical to the dog biscuit recipe I use and with the rice flour instead of regular flour it is gluten free.  I went ahead and made an exception the other night and made one of these up for the dogs, and it was a hit! 

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Birthday Cake

Cake:
1 cup brown rice flour
1 egg
1/3 cup natural peanut butter

2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin-pie mix as that has sugar and other ingredients in it)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I don't really like this ingredient but there is no substitute available)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup water

Frosting:
2 tablespoons GREEK Plain Yogurt
2/3 cup natural peanut butter, slightly melted

Mix all cake ingredients. Bake in a small, greased and floured pan at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool. Meanwhile, mix frosting ingredients and frost when cake is completely cool.


I think it’s funny how we instill human holidays on our pooches.  Do you celebrate any holiday’s with your dogs? Mine are just in it for the ride and love the attention, treats and toys that come along with celebrations.


 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I thought I knew all the dog breeds but I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know about the Gryphon Mastiff! What a gorgeous dog. Question: can I have a slice of this cake if I make it for my dogs? ;)

    ReplyDelete